Packing for a move is a big job no matter how you look at it, but a little planning and preparation makes it a lot easier. Here are a few tips to help you pack like a pro.
Packing For The Move
- Consider having a yard sale. You might be surprised at what people would buy and it’s a good way to earn a little extra money for your move. Plus, the less you have to pack, the better.
- Organize your stuff by category. As you begin packing, focus on one category at a time. Having all your clothes, dishes, books, toys, etc. together will make unpacking a lot easier.
- Don’t pack all at once. Start several months ahead of time and do it little by little, instead of trying to do it all in a day or two. Set a goal for each week. One week pack the garage, the next week pack your guest room or closets, all the way until each room has been packed. Make sure to save parts of the house you still use for last, like the kitchen and your bedroom.
- Keep essentials separate. There are some things you’ll need immediately upon arriving at your new home, like toiletries and utensils. Consider using a clear plastic box to differentiate it from all the others. Also, be sure to pack a bag of things that you know you will need during your transition from house to house.
- Label multiple times. Mark your boxes on at least two sides and on top so you can read them not matter how they’re stacked. Labeling your boxes is one of the most important rules. This way you or a professional mover knows which room to take each box when unloading the moving truck.
- Seal spill-able items. Place a piece of Saran wrap or a baggie under the caps of shampoo, detergent, bleach, etc. to make them virtually spill proof. The last thing you want to do is open a box to find soap has exploded on everything.
- Pack your dishes vertically. This is safer than stacking them flat in boxes, just make sure to use plenty of padding both below and between them. Bubble wrap or newspaper can help add cushion between the plates to ensure nothing gets broken.
- Use your chests and drawers. Most people empty out the drawers of their furniture when they move, but that’s valuable space that can be put to work carrying things. Make sure the drawers are not to heavy for you to carry to and from the moving truck. Use this as a good opportunity to find some things for your yard sale.
Need An Alpharetta GA Moving Company?
A.C. White has been owned and operated by the same family for four generations. Put their experience to work for you on your move, contact us online or visit one of our convenient locations.